Friday, November 5, 2010

Gluten-free Thanksgiving

Rose and I have been gluten free for about 10 years now, and I am just amazed at the number of new magazines that seem to multiply every few months about how to eat gluten free. When I first began this food plan, I refuse to call it a diet, because that is a four-letter word, there was almost no information about the food plan, so I had to use all of my strength to eliminate all the foods that were making me so miserable. The biggest part of the sacrifice were all the comfort foods that I had eaten all of my life, and prepared for the kids when we were all together. So, I went home one night after getting off work late and made myself a very s imple meal of protein and two vegetables, getting off to a great start. I was in such misery before that night, but I can't tell you how much better I felt even that night. So, now I have learned to recognize when I have eaten something that does n ot work, and my arthritis pain is all but gone, as well as about 100 pounds! Hallelujah!
Rose found a recipe a couple years ago for turkey breast stuffed with fennel, onions, a bay leaf, sprinkled with lemon juice, and an apple. If I do an entire turkey I will make a stuffing with sausage, celery, onion, apple, and some slivered almonds maybe. No one objects to having sweet potatoes plus white mashed potatoes and gravy, and we can still really enjoy the cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, peas and pearl onions, and a salad. It all works out, and after just a couple of tries, the new menu tastes just as good, and even better than the traditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment